About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019); AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021); and HOW WE BECAME POST-LIBERAL: THE RISE AND FALL OF TOLERATION (2024).

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

That ecstasy poll on the IEET site


What a subversive organisation IEET is! I see the final result was 83 per cent saying that ecstasy should be legalised for adults.

I wonder how such a poll would go if it were conducted scientifically and among the entire population. Enormously lower, I'm sure, though I don't rememember seeing a reputable poll on exactly this. We have a long way to go before we convince people to be serious about individual freedom.

It really is crazy that we allow adults to damage children in all sorts of ways, such as threatening them with hellfire or teaching them to feel guilt about their sexuality, but we don't allow adults to decide what substances they can put into their own bodies.

No comments: